Those who can Help

Those You Can Turn to for Help

There are many organisations, service and voluntary, offering advice, assistance and financial support to servicemen and women their partners, parents and children.

The Unit

The RAF person’s unit or your nominated point of contact should be your first port of call. If you don’t know who this is ask the personnel staff on the unit.


The RAF’s own Community Support pages. 

British Forces Post Office (BFPO)

Provides a postal and courier service for the Armed Forces Worldwide. Website

Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS)

Guidance to families on schools, special educational needs and MOD educational allowances. Tel 01980 618244. CEAS website.


Pray4OurForce is for any member of the Forces community who would like prayer for any reason. It’s for those in uniform and their families.

For those going through tough times, whose loved one is ill or on operations, for those seeking encouragement or just worried about the future, the Forces Prayerline may be just the support, comfort and encouragement they need.

Crime Reduction Unit

The RAF Police provide crime reduction information and the RAF Police Section on Unit will be able to give advice regarding crime reduction and personal matters.

Debt Advice

If you have difficulties with debt, admitting that you are struggling and seeking help is an important first step towards resolving your debt problems. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed to disclose all your debts and financial difficulties because ignoring the problem and not replying to correspondence will only make things worse. Your problems will not go away without specific remedial action.

Use free specialist advice (avoid commercial debt management companies that you see advertised in the media). Local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) and the CAB website provide advice and support. HIVE offer signposting advice and StepChange Debt Charity have a debt helpline 0800 138 1111.


Veterans UK administers the armed forces pension schemes and compensation payments for those injured or bereaved through service.

They also provide welfare support for veterans through a national Veterans Welfare Service and veterans helpline facility.

RAF HIVE Information Service

RAF HIVE Information Offices support the Chain of Command and tri-Service community through the provision of up to date and relevant information

RAF HIVE Information Officers are able to provide an extensive range of information on relocation, the local unit and civilian facilities, places of interest, schools and further education, housing, healthcare facilities, employment and training opportunities.

Pastoral Care

The RAF Chaplains’ Department provides spiritual leadership, moral guidance and pastoral support to RAF pesonnel and their families irrespective of their religion or belief. To contact your local chaplain or padre use the details in your local Service Community guide or ask at the HIVE.

SSAFA Forces Help

SSAFA provides professional and confidential welfare support for Service personnel and their families wherever they are located.

Forces Line

Forcesline is a free and confidential telephone helpline and email service that provides support for serving and ex-service men and women and reserves from the Armed Forces and for their families. As an independent charity, SSAFA is not part of the military chain of command.

RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF)

The RAFBF is the RAF’s leading charity and helps fund many other charities and organisations that operate either directly or indirectly in support of the family, children, the elderly, the disabled and those seeking employment.

RAF Families Federation (RAF FF)

The RAF FF exists to make life better for serving RAF personnel and their families, by raising issues of concern with senior RAF staffs and ministers. Have your say on the website, or contact them on Tel: 01780 781650.

Combat Stress

The Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society specialises in the welfare of ex-Servicemen and women who suffer from psychiatric disabilities arising from military service. It has 3 short stay treatment centres and a residential home. Tel: 01372 841600 or


Homestart is a national voluntary organisation that offers support, friendship and practical help to young families under stress in their own homes. Contact details can be found in local telephone directory. Tel: 0800 0686368


Services include Relationship Counselling for individuals and couples, Family Counselling, Mediation, Children and Young People's Counselling and Sex Therapy. They also provide friendly and informal workshops for people at important stages in their relationships.

Relate have a network of Centres across the UK and a group of licensed local counsellors that provide face-to-face counselling and support. They also provide phone, email and Live Chat counselling so you can choose the support that works for you.

Royal British Legion (RBL)

The RBL is the UK's leading charity safeguarding the welfare, interests and memory of those who have served in the Armed Forces and their dependants. It provides financial, social and emotional support to millions and its benevolence spans all age groups from the oldest to the very young.


SSAFA is the national charity helping serving and ex-Service men, women and their families in need. It is committed to helping people in need, suffering or in distress, regardless of age or condition. SSAFA is committed to helping anyone who has served just one paid day in any of our three Armed Forces, including the Reserves and those who did National Service - and their dependants, including their husbands or wives, civil partners or partners, children, widows and widowers. It provides financial assistance and debt advice but also offers practical as well as financial support. For many it is a friendly face in a new community, a shoulder to cry on when times are hard, a listening service for those in need.

The NHS, Your General Practitioner or Health Visitor

Both your local general practitioner and health visitor provides support and advice, particularly concerning younger children’s well-being. Contact details through your GP or local telephone directory. To find your local NHS service go to the NHS website  The NHS Choices website now has dedicated pages for Military Healthcare.

PAX Insurance

PAX has been the major provider of Personal Accident Insurance to HM  Armed Forces since 1989 and almost 58,000 members are currently protected by the Plan.  We are unable to give a personal recommendation but they certainly cover ops and other circumstances peculiar to RAF service that other more mainstream insurances will not touch or specifically exclude from their policies. 

Service Life Insurance (SLI365)

Sterling has been selected by the Ministry of Defence to provide Life Protection to all members of the British Armed Forces. The insurance provides unique benefits and has been exclusively designed to provide the Life cover required to suit the lifestyle of the military at every stage of their career, with war and terrorism being automatically included. You can obtain more details at

Share this page  facebook_logo_small

Back to Top