Tuesday 21st December 2021
Are you 16-19 years of age and have parents/carers who are Serving in the Armed Forces as either a Regular or Reservist? If yes, you might be interested in joining a new safe and supportive online community called ‘Connected Forces’. You will be offered one year’s access to a free, bespoke and secure online platform by the Service Children’s Progression (SCiP) Alliance working with The Brightside Trust.
Connected Forces brings to you:
- A place to make friends and keep in touch, no matter where you are
- Advice from ambassadors from Armed Forces families who have recent experience of university – and who have made the decisions you might be facing
- Opportunities to ask experts in careers within or outside of the military community to support your next steps
- Optional competitions, activities and challenges to support your personal development and expand your knowledge
- A chance to develop coping skills for dealing with setbacks and overcoming challenges, whatever they may be
The new platform will be launched in November and will last until December 2022.
Who will you interact with?
You’ll be in group chats with others from Armed Forces families within your own age group, with the opportunity to move into 1:1 chats if there’s anybody you’d like to chat to individually. You’ll also be able to connect with older/younger users including university students via the ‘Communities’ section, where you can participate in discussion threads. There’ll be great opportunities to meet people from careers or educational backgrounds that you’re interested in via our Ask the Expert feature.
Is the platform safe?
Yes! Brightside have been running online projects for 18 years and our number one priority is the safety of young people. All communication takes place on Brightside’s online platform and app which complies with the latest data protection regulations. The online platform has a security certificate and is a secure site. All staff involved are trained and must have an enhanced DBS check.
What if I feel shy about online communication?
No worries! The project is designed to help you get to know each other and there’ll be plenty of optional activities to support this. You’ll have the option to chat in small groups or post on our larger discussion forums, so there’s something for everyone.
See also Support for RAF Families