Higher and further education

Support for students from a UK Armed Forces background

Veterans, or students whose parent(s), carer(s), or partner are current or former UK Armed Forces personnel may find there are unique circumstances to consider when making their applications. They may also be able to get extra support from their chosen university or college.

Whether you are a service child, veteran or service leaver, head to the UCAS website where you’ll find many links of additional information and guidance.

Courses and qualifications for 14-19 year olds

Find out what courses and qualifications are available at schools, colleges and sixth forms in your area.

Scholarships for children whose parent has died in Service

The Bereavement Scholarship Scheme is available for 16 year olds and over, to provide University and FE scholarships for the children of service personnel whose death has been attributed to Service since 1990.


Service Children’s Progression Alliance

The Service Children’s Progression (SCiP) Alliance is a partnership of organisations including the RAF Families Federation focused on improving outcomes for children from military families. The SCiP Alliance’s Mission is to champion the progression of the children of military personnel, so that they can make informed and confident transitions through further and higher education into thriving adult lives and careers.The SCip website has further research and resources for practitioners as well as information for parents.

The University of Winchester has undertaken some research into the progression of service children into HE and FE.

Adults – preparing for university level study

The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) is the regulator for the Access to Higher Education Diploma, a qualification designed for adults to prepare them for university level study.