We have recently been posted to an area where there are few employment opportunities available to me.  Who do I speak to for advice?
Partners of currently serving and ex-Service personnel should have access to the full range of Jobcentre Plus services and can be considered for early access to the new Work Programme from three months into their claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance. Most of the Jobcentre Plus Offices close to military establishments now have Armed Forces Champions in place. They will be able to advise you on the employment and training opportunities available in your area. Click here for Jobcentre Plus website and more information.

I have just had to resign from my job as we have been posted again.  Am I entitled to any benefits?
It is Jobcentre Plus policy is that spouses of service personnel who leave employment to follow their partner will have just cause for leaving that employment. This means they should not be precluded from receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) on the grounds of voluntary unemployment. Each case should be considered on an individual basis using the relevant legislation and the information provided by the person claiming JSA. We suggest you contact JobCentre Plus, explain that you are a military spouse and ask for some advice on your circumstances. Click here for Jobcentre Plus website and more information.

We are about to be posted overseas.  Am I entitled to claim Maternity Pay while I am there? 
Spouses accompanying a service partner overseas are unable to claim maternity allowance from the UK. However, depending on where you will be living, you can either claim the local nation’s maternity benefits or apply for a MoD ex-gratia payment in lieu of Maternity Allowance. Details of the scheme are in MOD DIN 2012DIN01-220 on the MoD intranet site.

Share this page  facebook_logo_small

Back to Top