Family Support

My partner is going on deployment and I have heard  that there is a booklet for young children.  We do not live near his RAF unit and I wondered how I would get hold of a copy.
The RAF and service charities offer a number of welfare support services for families during periods of deployment.  All Service personnel are parented by a unit and that Unit is responsible for providing all Deployment Support (DS) resources.  Even if a family lives away from the parent unit, the serviceperson should be able to get hold of DS resources from their parent unit or have them sent to the family. In the event that you do not receive a Deployment Support Pack/items then please contact your parent unit. The local HIVE is always a good place to start. Additionally, there is a selection of downloadable resources at: which you may find useful.

We live in our own home, which is nowhere near my spouse's unit.  How do I find out about the welfare support available to me, especially as I do not have a RAF Dependant ID card anymore.
We suggest you contact the HIVE on your spouse's unit as they will have details of the welfare support available to you.  With regards to an ID card, this is something that your spouse should discuss with the HR staff - they will be able to advise him/her of how to apply for a local ID card for you.

We are having marital problems.  Is there anyone we can talk to in confidence?
Your local Padre will always provide support and guidance to you and your spouse.  Alternatively, if you would prefer to speak to someone outside the RAF, Relate are on hand and currently offer up to 6 free counselling sessions to RAF couples. Click here to find out more.

Is there anything available for teenagers whilst their parent is deployed?
If you live on or close to the unit, contact your Community Development Officer (CDO) or Airplay youth worker and they will be able to let you know what is available.  If you do not live close to your parent unit, contact the HIVE and ask them to send you details of any activities or support suitable for teenage children. They will also be able to give you contact details for other units if this is more appropriate .

We have been posted to an area where there are few employment opportunities available to me.  Who do I speak to for advice?

Partners of currently serving and ex-Service personnel should have access to the full range of Jobcentre Plus services and can be considered for early access to the new Work Programme from three months into their claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance. Most of the Jobcentre Plus Offices close to military establishments now have Armed Forces Champions in place. They will be able to advise you on the employment and training opportunities available in your area. Click here for Jobcentre Plus website and more information.

A family member is dying and I need to contact his son quickly. I know he is serving in the RAF but I don't know where.  Who do I need to speak to?
The MoD Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC) provides a focal point for casualty administration and notification, as well as requests for compassionate travel (for those personnel serving overseas) in respect of members of the British armed forces. The JCCC can be contacted at any time of the day or night on: 01452 519951 or their fax number is 01452 510807. Click here to go to the JCCC website

Share this page  facebook_logo_small

Back to Top