Monday 19th December 2022
Today Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced that from 1 January 2023 Forces Help to Buy is here to stay.
The Forces Help to Buy (FHTB) scheme began in 2014, to support home ownership for Service personnel and provide greater choice over where and how they live. Defence recognises that military jobs are inherently mobile and FHTB provides Service personnel with a step onto the housing ladder, a permanent base for individuals and families, and an opportunity for partners to develop their careers. It encourages personnel to think not only of their current housing needs, but also their future needs too.
Under the FHTB offer, Service personnel may borrow up to 50% of their annual salary towards the cost of buying their own home. There is also an option to self-build or, in certain circumstances, move to another or extend an existing property.
RAF couple Charlotte and Callum who have also taken advantage of FHTB said:
“Being first time buyers is always a daunting experience, but with the MOD’s support and advice and the Forces Help to Buy scheme, we secured a house that gives us the independence we wanted and a home outside military accommodation.”
To find out more on FHTB visit:
- Forces Help to Buy: help to get on the property ladder ‒ GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Discover My Benefits | Find out what you’re entitled to (mod.gov.uk)
- UK Armed Forces Defence Accommodation Strategy 2022
- UK Armed Forces Families Strategy 2022 to 2032 – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Forces Help to Buy: Understanding Service personnel experiences
See also: Housing and Accommodation