Civilian housing options

What are the Options?

There are a number of housing schemes that are available to the Service and Ex Service community. These include the Ministry of Defence Nominations scheme, Low Cost Home Ownership and the Key Worker Living Programme.

If you are thinking of buying your own home or you are just about to leave the RAF and want to know what housing options are open to you, take a look at the JSHAO pages on GOV.UK. This Tri-service organisation can provide you with a wide range of information about the civilian housing opportunities available to you and hold regular briefings which we would recommend.

The aim of the JSHAO is to provide Service personnel and their families with information and advice on the increasingly complex range of civilian housing options. The JSHAO provides a focal point for housing information and advice to all Service personnel and their families in particualr those about to return to civilian life, and to ex-Service personnel who are still in Service Families Accommodation.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)

JSHAO provide information and advice regarding civilian housing to Service Personnel and their Dependants.  You can contact them at anytime in your career by email or telephone (details below).

Housing Briefings

JSHAO deliver Civilian Housing Briefings at Regional Resettlement Centres in the UK and Education Centres in Germany, and Cyprus. These briefs are designed to give you the information to help you make informed choices on your civilian housing.  While these briefings are normally attended in the last two years of Service, all Service Personnel and/or partners are welcome to attend at any stage of your career. The dates of the briefings are widely advertised on Units and details are available from Unit Welfare staff or by contacting the JSHAO.

Affordable Housing Options

Service Personnel (and ex Service personnel within 12 months of discharge) have priority status for government affordable housing initiatives. Schemes include Forces Help to Buy, shared ownership, shared equity loans and the mortgage guarantee scheme.  For more information on the current government housing schemes and MOD funded initiatives available, please contact JSHAO.

The MOD Referral Scheme

The JSHAO runs the Ministry of Defence Referral Scheme. This scheme may be able to help you if you are looking for Affordable Housing to rent on leaving the Service.  We have developed links with Local Authorities and Housing Associations within the UK, who have available housing they wish to be specifically allocated to Service Personnel.  Applications should be made up to six months before your date of discharge to the JSHAO; you will then be contacted if a suitable property becomes available in your chosen area.  For more information and an application form call the office and ask to speak to the MOD Referral Scheme Coordinator.

Housing Matters Magazine

Ten months a year the JSHAO produces the Housing Matters magazine which has a worldwide distribution of 10,000 copies per month.  Copies should be available within your Unit or if you want your own copy call the JSHAO.  The magazines are also available on the internet:

JSHAO Contact Details

JSHAO, Floor 2 Zone 2, Montgomery House, Queens Avenue, Aldershot, Hampshire GU11 2JN

Tel: 01252 787574          Mil: 94222 7574

Email: [email protected]

or you can go direct to the JSHAO website pages.

Single Person Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services – SPACES

If you are single and about to be discharged (within 12 months) SPACES may be able to help you find somewhere to live, they are a housing placement service for single personnel.  SPACES is tasked by the MOD to help assist single Service Leavers to find suitable housing, they work with all Service Personnel regardless of rank and length of service.  In addition, they make all referrals to the supported accommodation for single personnel available at The Beacon in Catterick and Mike Jackson House in Aldershot.

SPACES Contact Details:

The Beacon, SPACES Office, Marne Road, Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, DL9 3AU
Tel: 01748 833797 or 830191
Email:  [email protected]


Buying former SFA properties

Annington Homes owns the Service Family Accommodation properties and as business need changes, some areas have excess housing and so these are then refurbished and sold off at a very reasonable price, so always worth a look for a good priced home.

Priority housing

The attached a circular sets out Ministerial guidance on the implementation of changes to housing allocations for members of the Armed Forces and may be of interest to some, as it focuses on the Command Paper commitments to the seriously injured & disabled personnel and the removal of the exemption regarding Local Connection which has to date prevented some leaving the Service from setting in their area of choice.

Ministerial Guidance to Local Government on the Allocation of Housing to Members of the Armed Forces

Mortgage advice

See Financial section