Living in SFA? Have you taken out Licence to Occupy insurance?

Licence to Occupy

A reminder for those who may be living in SFA for the first time. When you signed your Property Acceptance Certificate you acknowledged your agreement to your Licence to Occupy the property – this lays down the terms and conditions of occupancy.

When living in Service Family Accommodation (SFA), you will need to insure your home. Standard home liability insurance does not cover SFA. The Ministry of Defence recommends (JSP 464, Volume 1, Part 1, Section I, Paragraph 0605) that you take out a specialist type of insurance that covers your liability, up to £20,000, for any damage you or your family may do to your SFA. This is called ‘Licence to Occupy’ insurance.

The Services Insurance and Investment Advisory Panel (SIIAP) provides details of insurance providers who can ensure that you have the necessary ‘Licence to Occupy’ cover.

You may also wish to take out home contents insurance (some kit insurance providers also include LtO so worth checking your small print first!).

You will be required to sign a new Licence to Occupy each time you move into a new Service family home.

See also Housing

Back to news