Long-term relationships and SFA

Service Family Accommodation

Before April 2019 long-term relationships were not recognised by the RAF. Until the MOD’s policy on cohabitation in Service Family Accommodation (SFA) in UK changed.

The new policy means Service personnel in long-term relationships are eligible to live in surplus SFA, where available – which is not something everyone is aware of.

As part of Housing and Accommodation month we want to remind you of this policy change and explain what it means for you.

Cohabitation in Service Family Accommodation policy change explained

What is cohabiting?

In the eyes of the MOD, cohabitation is a Service personnel living with their partner, who is not their legal spouse or civil partner, in a long-term relationship.

What is considered a long term relationship?

The RAF consider a relationship exceeding one year to be a long-term relationship.

Is eligible different to entitlement?

Yes. The policy change means Serving personnel in long-term relationships are eligible to cohabit. This does not mean they are entitled to SFA. So, if there is no surplus SFA in the area (50 miles of their posting location) they won’t be able to access SFA or Substitute SFA. 

If I am in a long-term relationship, how do I apply for SFA?

First you will need to register your long-term relationship. To do this you will need to submit a form and send it to your Authorising Officer with required evidence. Once approved unit HR will update your JPA record. You can then apply to Amey for SFA. Further information can be found on our long-term relationships page.

More information on Housing

RAF Accomodation

As well as the Housing and Accommodation section of the website, we also share a weekly roundup in our eBulletin and/ our quarterly Envoy magazine – sign up and keep yourself up to date with the latest information.

Photo by Jaye Haych on Unsplash.

Back to news