Wellbeing and employment workshops for partners of RAF personnel
The RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has launched a new programme of free courses for partners of RAF personnel. The courses are designed to help RAF partners deal with the challenges presented by deployments and frequent moves when planning for the future.
Through its research, the RAFBF identified the most significant barriers to partners moving forward are not a lack of experience or qualifications, or writing CVs or interview skills, but identifying what they want to achieve and the routes to do this.
The new programme, Thrive, aims to help partners overcome these barriers to:
- increase the employability of partners who are looking for paid employment
- further the skills of partners who are already resourceful
- explore alternatives to paid employment
- improve overall wellbeing and emotional resilience
- reduce social isolation
The Thrive workshops will run across the RAF through the use of online platforms and these will be led by qualified coaches, who themselves have served or are partners of the serving RAF. To register your interest, simply fill in our online form.
The workshops, depending on their main focus, will involve the following:
- What holds you back – identifying self-limiting beliefs and identifying ways to overcome them.
- Wellbeing – involving a holistic approach covering physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, environmental, occupational and social wellbeing.
- Resilience – focusing on your ability to maintain mental health and wellbeing when faced with adversity. The ability to remain effective at home and work. The workshop will address four key areas – awareness, thinking, reaching out and fitness.
- Values, skills and strengths – involving exercises particularly aimed at those seeking to return to work or move jobs. It will explore and identify values to enable participants to better ‘fit into’ companies, recognising your key skills and how to describe them in a transferrable way and looking at your strengths focusing on positive outlooks.
- Hot seating – where you will have a turn at being in the ‘hot seat’ and describe your particular focus or goal.
Not only does this provide many different ways for you to move forward, this could be a good way in helping you to decide if you would like to go to receive further coaching or possibly specialist training.
Sign up to Thrive
During the COVID-19 lockdown period we are pleased to be able to offer the workshops online in either of the following formats, dependent upon your preference: one full session lasting up to 90 minutes or four weekly sessions lasting up to 45 minutes. The next workshops will take place in August and September with each session starting at 10 am. More details as follows:
Developing Courage workshop
These workshops will explore what a more confident version of yourself looks like and how to enhance self-belief. We have two dates available:
- 17 August, one full session.
- 20 August, four weekly sessions.
Building for the Future workshop
These workshops will help you to bring a sense of purpose and enhance motivation. The course looks at the importance of setting goals and why, it also explores how to better control and influence the way we think and do things.
- 28 September, one full session.
- 1 October, four weekly sessions.
Further course information
If you would like more information about the Thrive programme, please contact Irene Greenwood, Welfare Projects Executive on 020 7303 3436 or email Irene.Greenwood@rafbf.org.uk.