Image shows part of NHS Mental Health Care leaflet

Tuesday 14th May 2019

Mental illness is common and can affect anyone (including serving and ex-members of the Armed Forces and their families). Whilst some people cope by getting support from their family and friends, or by getting help with other issues in their lives, others need clinical care and treatment, which could be from the NHS, support groups or charities.

Within the NHS, there are a range of mental health services that provide different types of care and treatment. This includes dedicated mental health services for service personnel approaching discharge from the British Armed Forces and veterans. By veteran we mean anyone who has served for at least one day in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces (regular or reserve).

These dedicated services are called the NHS Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS) and the NHS Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS).

Both of these services are provided by specialists in mental health who have an expert understanding of the Armed Forces.

How the NHS can help if you’re in military service or a veteran.

See also: Mental health

Back to news Subscribe to eBulletin