Image showing the SFA (Service Family Accommodation) estate, built at Beacon Barracks in Stafford, UK.

Wednesday 24th November 2021

The current National Housing Prime (NHP) contract, which provides management and maintenance services for SFA, is due to be replaced in March 2022 by the Future Defence Infrastructure Services (FDIS) contracts. This includes closure of the Walkaway Scheme beyond 31 January 2022.

As part of FDIS development, it was agreed that the present Amey Walkaway Scheme should not be included within the new arrangements. It was thought this approach would better align with wider Government policy aimed at supporting the development of local enterprises to deliver such services. Therefore, as we move towards FDIS in service date of 1 March 2022, and to allow the managed closure of the Walkaway Scheme, Amey will not accept requests from families for that service for any move-out appointments after 31 January 2022.

Those families who have already booked the Walkaway Scheme for move-out dates beyond 31 January 2022 will receive a cancellation notice and a refund. In addition, if Service families have had to delay their move-out appointment due to operational reasons, such as moved deployment date, Amey will be unable to provide the Walkaway Scheme for any date that falls after 31 January 2022. This again will result in a cancellation and refund. Please note, however, that Amey will not be able to action refunds after the end of March 2022.

The Walkaway Scheme mailbox will remain open until 14 February 2022 to help with any ongoing queries.

It is intended that FDIS will provide signposting to local services for any families who wish to make their own arrangements to have their homes cleaned to the move-out standard after 1 March 2022. Please note that the closure of the Walkaway Scheme from 31 January 2022 does not remove the requirement for families to prepare their SFA to the appropriate move-out standard. DIO will continue to charge for those damages or deficiencies not classed as fair wear and tear. Families should contact their Accommodation Officer if they require any more information on this issue.

See also: Housing and Accommodation

Back to news Subscribe to eBulletin