Wednesday 19th May 2021
Information for parents and families highlighting the separation and deployment support available for Service children.
Whilst having a parent serving in the RAF brings many benefits and opportunities, it can also bring added stresses and worry – particularly concerning separation and deployment.
Separation and deployment research
There is a lot of research into the effects of separation and deployment on service children. If you’d like to read some of that research and increase your understanding of the impact separation from a parent can have take a look at the following links:
- RAF Benevolent Fund’s ‘Growing Up in the RAF’ report
- Service Children’s Progression (SCIP) Alliance’s Resources – search by area of interest to find resources relevant to you and your circumstances
- Service Children in state Schools (SCISS) Voice of Schools Report
To really get immersed, if that is your thing, you can search for ‘Service children’ on the Veterans and Families Research Hub and explore related worldwide research
Separation and Deployment support
If you are looking for support for your family during deployment, here is a list of resources available to you that could be of use to you during this time:
- The Naval Families Federation Parental Absence Resource is equally applicable to RAF families. Download a copy here.
- RAF Hive will have knowledge of local support service and offer deployment resources. Use the Hive finder to locate your nearest Hive.
- RAF Community Support (can also be accessed via your local Hive) can offer practical help for individual circumstances.
- Reading Force brings separated families together through reading.
- Little Troopers offers resources, initiatives and support to ease and aid repeated separation periods aiming to keep parent and child connected.
As always, you can find more on the RAF Families Federation web pages or contact us for support
Education and Childcare information
Throughout the months of May and June our social feeds will be dominated by education and childcare information for Service families with children and young people. We will be sharing useful information, resources, tips and advice.