Do you feel that you have been treated unfairly? Are you concerned about inappropriate behaviour? Here we explain Service complaints.

You can make a complaint if you have been wronged on a matter that arises while you are subject to Service law. This includes complaints of bullying, harassment, discrimination and biased, improper or dishonest behaviour.

What to do if you have a complaint?

If you have experienced an injustice, you are advised to read JSP 831 or to seek advice from your local human resource staff or equality and diversity adviser. They can explain how the matter may be resolved informally and how to submit a formal complaint (see page 22) where appropriate.

Settling a complaint informally

It is recommended you attempt to settle the matter informally before going through the Service Complaints process. Informal options include:

  • speak or write to the person responsible for the matter you are complaining about
  • ask the chain of command or a colleague to look into the matter
  • ask for mediation

If these options are unsuitable or unsuccessful you can raise a formal Service Complaint.

How to make a Service complaint?

To make a Service Complaint there is a process. The first step is to complete a Service Complaint form (Annex F, JSP 831). This must be done within three months of the incident.

RAF Central Admissibility Team can be contacted by email: [email protected]

Where to go for guidance

Service Complaints Ombudsman for the Armed Forces

If you do not feel able to approach the single Service Secretariat Central Admissibility Team directly, you can ask the Ombudsman to help you access the complaints system via its referrals team. No judgement on admissibility is made at this point.

You can also contact the ombudsman at any time during the complaints process to:

  • review a decision not to treat a matter as a formal complaint
  • review a decision not to consider an appeal
  • investigate a delay in the process
  • investigate issues relating to the handling or outcome of a complaint

You can phone 020 7877 3450 or email [email protected].

Centre for Military Justice

If you would like some specialist legal advice on aspects of the Service justice system or the Service complaints system, you can go to the Centre for Military Justice.

Available to current and former Service personnel and their families, the service aims to alleviate some of the complexity of the military legal system and provide free legal advice.

You can phone on 0203 848 6821 or complete an online form here.

How we can help

If you feel you have been treated unfairly and you are uncertain of the best action we can offer guidance (a confidential service).