LTR Status branded asset showing two women eating some melon

We often welcome you as Serving personnel and partners to contact us at the RAF Families Federation with questions in relation to Long Term Relationship (LTR) status. From the 01 April 2019 there was a change to MOD policy on cohabitation. This means that as Regular and FTRS (FC) Service personnel, if you can demonstrate that you are in an established long term relationship, you will be eligible to apply to cohabit in surplus* Service Family Accommodation (SFA) in the UK. 

From 1 February 2020 the requirement to have completed four years of service was removed, but you will still be required to comply with Para 0301 of JSP 464, Vol 1, Part 1 – which basically means: 

  1. you need to be aged 18 or over
  2. have completed Phase 1 training
  3. be Serving on a regular engagement in the UK Armed Forces or be a Full Commitment Reservist as defined in single-Service regulations

How can we help ? 

We do always suggest you contact your HR centre in the first instance. However, we can provide you with the details of the Defence Instruction Notice (DIN) that explains the application process and we can assist with checking the exact requirements needed in order to provide what is ‘acceptable evidence’ proving your LTR status.   

*Points to note 

Availability of SFA may vary by location and what this means is that there is no guarantee of surplus SFA being available on assignment to another location. 

Frequently asked questions 

What allowances would I be eligible for? 

The introduction of cohabitation in surplus SFA does not attract any additional allowances.  You will remain entitled to allowances in line with your allocated PStat Category Status. Cohabitation is an extension of eligibility and is not a widening of entitlement.   

Are there any changes to the 28-day surplus licence under cohabitation? 

All aspects of the surplus licence remain unchanged and the surplus licence would still have a minimum 28-day notice to vacate. 

What if there is no surplus SFA at a Unit?   

Eligible personnel do not hold an entitlement to SFA and can only access surplus SFA where it’s available. If there is no surplus SFA at a location then you will unfortunately not be entitled to Substitute SFA.  You may only cohabit in surplus SFA at your place of work, which is within a 50-mile radius of your assigned location. If you are in an LTR(E) applying to cohabit in SFA, you must reside in the property with your partner and record the residence on JPA as your Resident at Work Address (RWA).  

Accommodation campaign month of March

This news story is brought to you as part of the themed campaign month of March focusing on accommodation. You’ll be able to read about all things connected to housing – sharing updates and tips to you as RAF personnel and RAF families.

See also: Housing and Accommodation

Branded image of a wooden house with tools circled around the house to reflect the March campaign month focused on accommodation.

Back to news